Discovering Morocco: 10 Fascinating Facts
Morocco, a treasure trove of history and diverse landscapes, beckons enthusiasts of the history to delve into its rich tapestry. Here are 10 fascinating facts that shed light on the unique allure of this North African gem.
1. Morocco is the only African country with coastlines on both the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea, providing it with a diverse range of landscapes.
2. The ancient city of Marrakech is known for its vibrant markets, palaces, and gardens. The city’s historic center, the Medina, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
3. Morocco is a constitutional monarchy with a long-standing monarchy that traces its lineage back over a thousand years.
4. The traditional Moroccan dish, couscous, is a staple in the country and is often served with a variety of meats and vegetables. Fridays are considered a special day for couscous.
5. The Sahara Desert, one of the world’s largest hot deserts, stretches into southern Morocco. The Erg Chebbi and Erg Chigaga are famous sand dune areas attracting tourists.
6. Morocco is known for its distinctive architecture, with intricate designs and vibrant colors often seen in structures like the Kasbahs and riads.
7. The ancient city of Fes is home to the oldest university in the world, the University of Al Quaraouiyine, founded in 859 AD.
8. Morocco has a rich cinematic history and has been the setting for many famous movies, including “Casablanca.”
9. The Atlas Mountains, extending across Morocco, are home to Berber villages and offer breathtaking landscapes, including the Toubkal National Park, where Mount Toubkal, the highest peak in North Africa, is located.
10. Morocco is known for its diverse cultural influences, reflecting a blend of Arab, Berber, and French influences. The country has a vibrant arts scene, with traditional music, dance, and festivals playing a significant role in its cultural heritage.
Intriguing and diverse, Morocco unfolds as a captivating chapter in the pages of history. Its geographical wonders, architectural marvels, and cultural vibrancy create a timeless narrative that awaits exploration. Share in the allure of Morocco on “The History” as we unravel the layers of this fascinating North African jewel.